Meet Rocky: A full-timer’s tour of a T@B Boondock

DSC_6202Back in April, Kendrick and I moved from a T@G named Phoenix into a T@B named Rocky. Life has been a crazy roller-coaster of lessons, and we’ve learned quite a bit about living in our T@B on the road.

Finally, we’d like to share a little bit about our home, and some must-have items to making full-timing easier.

First, have a look at the video tour we’ve put together here. Then, check out the links below for more information on our additions.

Vlog #24: Meet Rocky – A full-timer’s tour of a T@B Boondock:

Here is a list of the particular add-ons we’ve made. Hopefully these will help point you in the right direction for your own tiny home on wheels!

CalendarThumbs012018 Calendars now available!

Follow Mandy on Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
With support from nüCamp RV | Princess Craft RV3 Legged Thing | Hoodman | Schneider OpticsNikon Westcott | Urban Hair | Precision Camera | Bear Claw Carpentry

Jimmy Scott

December 12, 2017

Always dig your videos ! Happy Trails always ! 😜👍

Thank you so much! I appreciate you watching 🙂

jack brown

December 13, 2017

Thank you !… for sharing your home with me . Remember!…….there is always a place to add “Mistletoe!”.

Ahahaha… Good point!!!

Barbara Hayton

December 13, 2017

Amazing how much can be done to customize your “home”. Great job and interesting video. I enjoyed meeting you and Kendrick at the Summit in Townsend and wish you both a Merry Christmas and many adventures with your new home.

December 13, 2017

Thanks for the kind message! Hopefully we will catch up in 2018 as well!

Bruce & Bev

December 13, 2017

Just picked up our 2018 T@B Boondock last week! Our adventures continue!

December 13, 2017

Wooo!!! The first week is the most exciting. No wait, they all are!

Dwane

December 13, 2017

I agree with your layout, except the full bath is a must in my T@B…
    That truly makes it a “home “😎

December 13, 2017

Haha, I can respect that. Most people prefer to have a bathroom. I think the bed makes the “home” 🙂

John

December 13, 2017

Wondering what your hitch weight is with the generator and full water tanks.

December 13, 2017

Good point John. People often forget to account for all of the “stuff” they carry with them, both in trailer and in tow vehicle, to make sure they are still well below their tow capacity. Luckily I have a lot of wiggle room so the generator and water don’t make a huge difference. Would love to calculate the actual tongue weight somehow though.

Diane

December 13, 2017

Thanks for the tour. If you’re in NJ and need a parking space, you’re more than welcome at my house. Diane Irrgang

December 13, 2017

Too kind! Thank you Diane!

Josh

December 16, 2017

Hi Mandy, I really enjoy your videos and think the Tab is a great little camper! One question on the interior kitchen layout (which I like) – I visited a similar Tab at my local RV dealer and it seemed the overhead kitchen cabinets were somewhat in the way of my head, when using the sink or stove. Has that been an issue for you or Kendrick, and if so, how do you address it? I suppose leaning below the cabinets would work, at the risk of accidentally bashing one’s head while straightening up. Thanks!

December 26, 2017

Hi Josh! Great observation! I am 5’4″ and I never hit my head. Kendrick on the other hand…. does. Actually, he only hits his head when he accidentally leaves them open. If they are closed its not much of an issue. He does stand with his legs spread apart when he cooks so that he is shorter!

Human Touch, OT

December 18, 2017

Hi Mandy,

Love your video tour of “Rocky.” You’re such an inspiration and I’m intrigued about cutting the long back lid to the storage compartment into 3-sections. Something for us to think about.

Late last summer my husband and 2-Goldens were in the Shenandoah National Park towing our T@B 320 when we saw someone with a T@B 400. Upon meeting, the person driving the 400 was an employee at Nucamp who worked in R & D. I mentioned your awesome videos and he said he met you at the factory, so it’s a small world. Anyway, we love your work. Happy Holidays and many amazing adventures to you and yours in 2018.

December 26, 2017

I definitely recommend it! It’s not that hard if you have a saw, and just buy some extra hinges.

How cool that you saw someone from nuCamp! They do send folks out on the road every now and then. I think I even know the couple you are talking about 🙂

December 18, 2017

You’re right. I could never imagine living that way. But, oh…I envy y’all! 🙂

December 26, 2017

Its not as hard as it sounds… a pretty great life 🙂

Scott Bratt

December 25, 2017

Kit and I love the black color! We have the T@G MAX XL in black and silver and have never seen another like it. Only draw back is the rock chips that speckle the front of the unit. We need to touch up the paint on it.

December 26, 2017

We left the top and front silver, while just the sides are black. It helps a bit, but you will always get some chips. Its okay though, just evidence that you are using it as you should!

Jon Anscher

March 2, 2018

I’m curious about the extended platform you have on the front to put your generator and extra cargo box on. I haven’t been able to find anything like that anywhere. Was that custom made? Or did you buy it?

March 9, 2018

Hi Jon! Actually that platform is offered from nuCamp, but you’ll need order it through a local nuCamp dealer. Just go in and let your dealer know what you need and they should be able to order it for you!

Jon Anscher

March 9, 2018

Ah! I wonder if the sizing will work with our trailer. We don’t have a Tab. Thanks, at least I know where to learn more now!

Craig Billie

March 8, 2018

Love the knife rack idea, and of course am trying to copy it. But, I see the bar doesn’t have a solid surface on the back side for using 30lb tape easily – mind my asking how you installed it? Thanks!

March 9, 2018

We used a combination of both the 30lb tape and screws. The combination together seems to be very sturdy! But take a look at other magnetic strips as well, maybe you can find one with a more solid backing.

Rosemary Byrne

December 8, 2018

Thanks for your great videos! I have two questions: 1) How did you put up your curtains? Looks like standard curtain rods screwed into–the wood valance? I’ve been trying to keep up some curtains using adhesive-backed hooks stuck on either the plastic window shade surround or the inside of the valance, but they keep falling down. I hate to use screws. 2) About the bed slats: My 2016 T@B 320 S came with the horrible big, heavy table which I took out and I want to use slats to make the full bed but laying them on the seat fronts will raise up that portion of the bed an inch. So, how do yours work? Is there a rail attached to the front of your benches for the slats to rest on, or do they rest on the seat fronts?

mandylea

December 10, 2018

Hi Rosemary! Thanks for your message!
      For the curtains, I found a very lightweight aluminum rod at Walmart along with some very lightweight curtains. Because they are light, I was able to use the screws that came with it to attach them straight to the wall of the T@B. This is your home so don’t be afraid to make some holes! Just be sure that you don’t put too much weight on anything you screw into the wall. I haven’t had any issues with my curtains in almost 2 years now.
      I’m not sure how your version of the T@B is configured. Mine actually has a lip that the slats are made to fit into so everything is level.