Winter Camping: Keep Cozy in your Teardrop

People often ask which is my favorite season. “It’s not one of the four, but rather the changing that I love” I reply. Surely I would tire of any one season after too many months, so why would I migrate to create an endless summer? No, give me winter, give me peaceful snowfall!

donutfalls02web

Not only do I adore some of the winter imagery I captured this season, but I also loved the process of capturing them. Winter camping can be harsh. Things freeze that you never thought would freeze. You’re held captive to your shelter. You’re a constant slave to the chill in the air. And your nose is a never ending faucet of snot. But the moment you stop and look around, in a field of freshly fallen snow, a silence so deep you can hear the snowflakes hit the ground. Then you smile because you know it was worth the trouble.

But warmth is something we can’t deny ourselves, even if we’ve committed to the most simplest of lives. Watch my most recent video blog to see what I’ve been up to in the snow, and how Phoenix manages to keep me warm!

Vlog #11: Winter Camping: Keep Cozy in your Teardrop

Follow Mandy on Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Buy Calendars

NuCamp RVΒ | Princess Craft RV |Β 3 Legged Thing | Hoodman | Schneider Optics | Nikon | WestcottΒ | Urban Hair

Linda Hopson

January 13, 2017

I’m way older than you but you inspire me to keep on exploring! Thank you! Oh, and you create beautiful photography!

January 13, 2017

Adventure doesn’t care for age πŸ˜‰

LINDA Sue

March 9, 2017

I may try winter camping now. I’m afraid I don’t know enough about what to do in my trailer to keep the water lines and anything else safe from freezing and breaking.

March 13, 2017

You can do it! Just do all the research you can… and trial by error! Don’t be afraid!

K

January 13, 2017

Mandy, ur beauty shines from within, girl! U inspire me daily! I can’t wait to hug u again.πŸ’–πŸŽͺ🎸

Edie Snell

January 13, 2017

Mandy,
    I for one appreciate the effort you go through to get the awesome pictures. I know what it takes in time planning and equipment to be in the right place at the right time. There are the dud days when the light just isn’t right or the weather doesn’t cooperate. There are days you wonder if people give more than just a passing like to what you post. Thanks for your videos. Your personality really shines. Love and light to you and all you give the world !
    from a beginning traveler,
    Edie

Brian Kennedy

January 13, 2017

I love winter camping! I’m kinda like my own furnace, though, so I stay warm fairly easily.

January 13, 2017

Thank you so so very kindly Edie! It is great to get these messages and save them to read on my “dud days”!

Sherry Sauter

January 13, 2017

Oh My Mandy, you brought me to tears…I am so wanting to see these places in the Winter. My hubby and I have a plan hopefully to travel to Yellowstone in the Winter and maybe now that you have shot theses places…I want to see them also. Thank you for what you bring to our lives. You are the BEST <3

January 17, 2017

Oh thank you Sherry!!! That’s amazing to hear from you. I do hope you can see them in other seasons. It’s like a whole different place than in the Summer. Just because its cold doesn’t mean its uncomfortable.

January 18, 2017

Those are some pretty awesome shots, Mandy. I’m glad you weren’t too disappointed about missing the sunrise at Dream Lake. Did you think about trying again the next day? And what do you do for guidance on a trail covered with snow? Do you have a dedicated GPS? I’m guessing phones don’t work very well at such cold temperatures. BTW, I was going to claim that the Maroon Bells shot was my favorite but, honestly, they were all amazing. Thanks again for sharing. πŸ™‚

January 18, 2017

Thank you Joanna! Yes, I was a little disappointed but it was still beautiful even at the moment I arrived. I didn’t have any GPS with me, I just tried my best to follow the most obvious clearing in the trees… which is probably why I got off track!! haha. And you’re so right about the phones… it dies when it gets below about 40 degrees, so I tape a couple of hand warmers to the back of it to keep it on πŸ™‚

Bill Pelzmann

February 24, 2017

The trail to Dream Lake, after a fresh snow, can be quite challenging. I know, my first time was in the dark after a 10″ snowfall and there were no tracks, but I did make it by sunrise! Where did you camp, since the park campgrounds are closed in the winter?

February 24, 2017

Indeed it is! I am lucky to have a lot of family in the front range and so I just wake up extra early. Only about an hour from the trailhead πŸ™‚

Kristen

March 15, 2017

Hi Mandy! I met you at the Tiny House Convention in St. Augustine FL this fall and have been excited to follow your travels ever since. What an awesome journey for a Colorado winter. Thank you for sharing it. I’ve been inspired to do some winter hiking myself. I wanted to see if you’d consider making a video specifically about what clothing you wear for your winter hikes. I’m from Florida and have made several trips to outdoors stores to learn about winter hiking clothing, but there are so many choices it’s overwhelming. I’ve got the basics down but it would be cool to see just what you like–what brand you wear, types/weights of your individual jackets & layers, etc. Sometimes a really good example is more helpful than all the options out there! Light and love to you, keep shining!

March 21, 2017

Hey! Sorry for my slow response! I’m actually out of the snow finally so I may not get to that video this winter… but if I could give you any suggestions it would be this: first, LAYERS! second, WICKING material πŸ™‚ If you have layers you can control your temperature. And you want to stay as dry as possible, even from sweat. Best of luck!! <3

Alejandrina

April 25, 2017

Good information. Lucky me I reach on your own website by accident, I bookmarked it.